Quinn really was excited to have his picture taken with President Obama, he just had his cheesy smile on yesterday!
Yesterday we spent Martin Luther King Jr. day celebrating with everyone else at the Henry Ford Museum. It was Target Family Day so admission was free. We had a great time, the kids got MLK journals to write in, and they had fun drawing pictures of the things they liked seeing. Of course Quinns favorites were the race cars, trucks, and trains. Avery liked the carriages and the bikes and made a special friend in Orville Wright. Kaleighs favorite was the wienermobile.
The special treat for me was getting to sit on the bus that Rosa Parks refused to give up her seat on. We waited in line for a few minutes to do it, but it was definitely worth it, and since the kids were learning about all of those things at school they really understood it. After the bus the kids got to make a paper copy of the bus, and while they were doing that I attended the presentation they were doing. The kids and Scott joined me when they were finished and Quinn participated in the freedom march, and Avery onstage for "We Shall Overcome".
It was really an awesome way to spend the first of a couple historic days.
3 comments:
Wow! I had no idea the Henry Ford museum had the bus Rosa Parks refused to give up her seat in, I would have loved to see that! What an awesome thing for the kids to do too, hopefully they remember this as being a day that will go down in history!
We went through the Rosa Parks bus a few months ago...it was an awesome and solemn experience. The kids remembered it yesterday when we were talking about MLK day.
I also like the presidential cars...they're pretty cool!
How awesome that you did such a neat trip with the kids. I Love History
Post a Comment