Saturday, March 24, 2007

A Stitch in Time



GG made a visit to our house this morning to teach me how to use the sewing machine that she gave me months ago when they moved from their old house. Quinn found some fabric that he liked for pillows in his room on Wednesday and has been bugging me since "when are we going to do my pillows? Can we do my pillows? Etc. etc." So GG was nice enough to give me the grand tour of her 1950's Elna Supermatic. It does all kinds of cool things that I will have to study up on, or get more lessons on, to be able to use, but I was excited to have her over to show me. She stayed for lunch and the kids, especially Kaleigh, had a good time looking at and counting books with her. I asked her if things were just as crazy at her house when her kids were little, and she said, she didn't think so, but remembered learning to sew on an old foot pedal machine with Mom and Aunt Pat on either side asking questions and wanting to know what she was doing. She told me it was hard to concentrate, but at the same time she didn't want them not to be interested. It seemed to be quite the full circle moment. It was nice.
P.S. The picture at the top is GG, but the card is an ad I found online that I thought was neat.

3 comments:

Pam said...

I have many fond memories of the ping pong table being full of sewing materials and that sewing machine each summer as we all worked together to make new school clothes for the fall. I even remember one summer when Aunt Mary learned to sew at our ping pong table. I think it was a skirt, wasn't it Mary?

Unknown said...

Yes, I loved visiting you at your house in Ohio. It was a great house and I did make a skit with Dorris helping of course

Mrs. Patterson said...

Precious post, absolutely.